Saturday 11 July 2015

I can’t date a married man –Kay Samuel, actress

Pretty actress, Kay Samuel, made her Nollywood debut in Friendly Scorpion. The graduate of History from Imo State University (IMSU) has since featured in other movies such as Shattered Mirror, Sweet Potato, My Prince My Princess, Crown Princess, and Lonely Princess.
Having conquered Nollywood, Samuel is now making a foray into music, with a single in the offing.
The multi-talented artiste opened up to Entertainer at a function in Enugu State and she spoke on a variety of issues including her career, relationship and her soon-to-be-released work. Excerpts:

You look great, what is the secret to your beauty?
Thanks for the compliment. I always visit the gym and I am on constant diet. That’s what I do to keep fit. A woman has to do whatever she could to look good.
How much does it cost you to always look this good and trendy?
To be honest with you, it costs a lot. For you to look ravishing all the time is quite demanding. As I mentioned earlier, I’ve been working out and trying to keep fit because in showbiz, aside the talent, you have to really look good. However, I also believe that I have a natural smooth face and a great body. I do not use anything extra-ordinary apart from the usual cleansers that help prevent pimples and burns on the face.
Looking beautiful usually attracts male admirers. How much of it do you experience?
Oh, don’t even go there. It is normal. It happens to women everyday and all the time. It happens in churches, market places, everywhere. But you must note that a substantial number of these admirers are fans. So, I think one should be cautious in handling them because we need our fans as much as they need us. I am a very polite person and I know how to handle male folk around me.
Are you hooked up?
That’s an issue for another day.
When will the wedding bells ring?
Any moment from now, just watch out.
In Friendly Scorpion, your first movie, you played company secretary and your boss’ wife felt insecure about you…?
(Laughs) Yes, that was what happened. It was a Coruma Movies’ production. She was actually suspecting that I was dating her husband but the reverse was the case.
You depicted that role so well. Can you date a married boss in real life?
First of all, I am against office romance and secondly, why contest for someone else’s husband when there are so many free men out there?
How would you like your man to handle you?
I like a man who can treat me like a queen, understand and appreciate me.
What if he treats you like a queen but turns out deficient in the bedroom?
Well, when we get to that bridge we will know how to cross it.
Is it true that virtually all women like men that are vulgar, I mean, no-holds-barred-men?
I would say that it is different strokes for different folks.
What about you?
Every woman desires a romantic man and I am not an exception.
How challenging was Friendly Scorpion?
The script was challenging being my first Nollywood outing. More so, I had to put up with popular actors like Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde, Mike Ezuruonye, Solomon Akiyesi, Rukky Sanda and the likes, so I sincerely found it challenging. Although, I grew up writing scripts and acting from my primary school days, but camera-wise, Friendly Scorpion was my first.
Your mum was an actress, would it be right to describe yours as an entertainment family?
Yes, it would. I think that we took after our mother. She was into acting and the creative arts. She told us that she joined a drama group as a toddler. Today, my siblings and I are into entertainment; we sing and act. But my only brother is late now so, it’s just my sister and I. My sister launched her album on June 21 and I am currently working on my debut single.
What genre would it be?
It’s gospel. It’s all about glorifying God for his goodness to me, especially for seeing me through this uneasy journey. God willing, the album will drop before the end of the year.
Why do you not wear tattoos or do you have them where the eyes cannot see them?
No, I don’t wear tattoos. I think the Holy Bible condemns it and I would not do what goes contrary to biblical teachings, because I love and fear God.
What would you not do as an actress because of your faith?
It depends on the circumstance. If I am faced with a challenge and it is against my Christian faith, I would not do it.
What about going nude in a movie?
I can’t. I wouldn’t do that for any reason or any amount. But I’m not against those who do it because they are comfortable with it.
Even with a N5 million upfront pay?
I will not even if you give me all the money in the world.
You’re supposed to be a professional, is going nude not part of make-belief?
It depends on how you view it. But like I said, it is a personal thing. I cannot go nude in a movie.
What special qualities must your ideal man have?
I desire a God-fearing person because I’m very God-fearing too. I like a man that has focus, vision and a goal-getter. And of course, he has to be romantic and understanding.
Is it possible to find a man with those qualities in Nollywood?
Yes, it is possible.
Can you marry an actor or entertainer?
Yes I can.
Don’t you think that challenges are usually higher when entertainers marry each other?
I think that one thing that keeps a relationship going, whether it is marriage or a dating, is understanding. Adequate understanding is all that matters.
What offence could make you deny your husband sex?
It depends because I’ve grown to be a very understanding person. Marriage is not just about relationship and sex; friendship matters a lot. Normally, men do things that shatter women’s hearts. But personally, I have come to a point in my life where I have realised that ‘hey, these are men for you; that’s what they are and you have to deal with it that way’. So, I’ll do everything to ensure we don’t have unnecessary issues that will degenerate to such a level.
Would you break your husband’s head if you catch him pants down on your matrimonial bed?
No, I would pretend that it is not a big deal and walk away.
You’d just walk away, speechless?
Yes, speechless. Maturity is not about making noise. If I start ranting, either the woman loses regard for me or my husband does. I would just make sure they see me before I walk away. So, it is up to my man to do the whole begging and apologies. I could even leave the house for a while or something of that sort. But such is not an easy experience because even if you have to cheat on me, it should not be on my matrimonial bed.
Do you think that all men cheat?
No, but I would say a majority do. There is this belief that 99.9 per cent of men cheat. So, it is just a minute fraction that doesn’t. The truth is that there are still one or two men out there who don’t.
What about women, don’t they cheat too?
Well, I wouldn’t say all women cheat because personally, I can’t cheat on my man. I can only speak for myself. But seriously, I think that men cause most of the problems that women face today.
Can you dump your man over ‘bedroom deficiency’; I mean poor performance in bed?
That is a complicated one I must confess. For my husband, marriage is for better for worse. So, that is a no-no. But for a boyfriend, if I try to explain to him and there is no improvement, I will leave because sincerely, no matter how you fake it, you will not be happy in such a relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment