Saturday 11 July 2015

Why I’m enthusiastic about giving back to society –Imo beauty queen

Beauty they say, lies in the eyes of the beholder. Evidently, no one would dispute the beauty and quality of the natural endowment of Miss Cynthia Ngozi Igbokwe who emerged the most beautiful girl in Imo State for 2014/2015.
The 24-year old beauty queen has been involved in several humanitarian services across the length and breadth of her primary assignment with a leadership view of using her God-given talent to help society.
The free flowing Queen of Imo state, is from a God- fearing family  of six made up of three brothers and three sisters. She studied for  her first degree in Social Work at  the University of Calabar.
She was  much younger when her mum taught her how to be a good girl, to love and respect people, and also  to know that the man is the head of the family.

Speaking to Niger Delta Chronicle in Benin, the Edo State capital, she   reflected on  her foray into modeling and her earnest resolution to project her selfless programmes for  her constituency.
“I got into modeling some years ago when friends urged me to veer into it because I’m well behaved and I have a good physique  to contest. So, I decided to try it when I was in school even though I did not win on my first trial. That gave me the privilege to make some money while in school, because I didn’t have to ask my parents for money all the time. So, it really helped me. After, I decided to go for a test even though I did not win but it gave me the edge to do better next time. But then, I went for another test, The African Village Queen contest and  came out as first runner-up and that was a good thing for me too. Then, I had to focus on my academics because it was my final year in school. Finally, I participated in another contest, Miss Hospitality Ambassador in Nigeria 2013-2014, which I won. When I handed over to my successor, I still had the notch to go for more and so I contested The face of the world Nigeria pageant , the most beautiful girl in Imo State 2014-2015 and I won.
“Certainly, it’s not as if I was more beautiful than other contestants, but I had something special and better to offer. Perhaps, I was more intelligent and outspoken and I thank God for that. I hope I have the opportunity to do more when called upon  and give back to the society what I can and practice my profession as a social worker”, she said.
The beauty queen attributed her victory to God Almighty, parental support, self confidence and her relationship with people.
“God first, is the giver of all things. I believed in myself and believed I could do something. I believed  I came for the crown and I could go home with it. I was convinced of my qualities and when I look back I could see the support of my family which was a plus to my victory. Even though my parents did not want it from the onset but I had to prove why I have to be a model and in the end they accepted it”, Miss Igbokwe said.
In life, quitters never achieve anything and achievers are resilient by nature. So is the quality of a great ambassador of humanitarian service exhibited by Miss Igbokwe particularly, as she faced strong competitors before she was crowned the most beautiful girl in Imo State.
“It was very challenging particularly as a girl-child. Many people wanted to get to know me especially the male folks. Even men wanted to sleep with me  and if you say no, you miss the financial support. So, it’s very challenging. But then, you have to stand your ground by letting them know they could help without sleeping with you. Other basic challenges have to do with gossips among contestants particularly when you win and they lose. They feel you are pompous and that could lead to malice within the circle and again getting funds was a major challenge as well as waking up everyday and thanking God, that I am alive and plan to work out things. I know I have family there for me and I know that I have good people to work with. That makes me happy and I know also that I have food on my table to eat today, tomorrow, and  the next”, she said
On giving back to the society, she is poised to work with  orphans, focus on youth empowerment through her pet project tagged ,Talent And Wealth Creation and the very aged that have given so much to the society to bring to bear her humanitarian services.
“I intend to work with orphans as my pet project and also to support the aged. So, I will also focus on the youth as well, even though I know some people don’t have opportunity to such advice. I am going to give back to the society. They should be ready to benefit from what my mama taught me letting them know that, the advice will pay them if not now but in the future”.
Miss Igbokwe, however, urged people to believe in themselves and remain focused to achieve the needful in various opportunities that come their way.
“So, I urge people to believe in themselves; just tell yourself you can do it because there is an adage  which says  “If you can’t beat them, join them”. That also goes with the fact that if you can’t beat them leave them and be the change you want to see in the world”, she said 

No comments:

Post a Comment